Friday 10 January 2014

Letterpress Diary Day 3: Friday 10th January

 The Medium is the Message


Today went really well in the print room. I managed to get 3 posters done again without having too many problems. This poster is taken from McLuhan's theory that the medium is the message. I decided to use a serif font to emphasize the 2 key words in the statement.


Used by few but never Forgotten


This poster took barely any time to set at all and I had no problems printing this design.

How Relevant is Letterpress to Graphic Design Today


The final poster I produced was basically my dissertation title. I managed to print one copy before realizing I had spelt letterpress wrong, because of this I had to reconsider my typeface as this version would not fit in the chase. I decided to just use one typeface instead for this poster. I found that my designs were quite limited due to the lack of type available.


Here you can see the final printed version. I am really happy with the quality of the print and the composition. I feel that learning to set type has really benefited my practice. I have learned the basics of typography and the physicality of designing with words.

Overview

I am really happy with how this week has gone in the print room. It took a day to get properly into the swing of things but by the end of the week I had found my rhythm and was printing much faster as time went on. I also found it allot easier to set the type and figured out ways to make it more manageable. This is something that became second nature the more I did it. At first I found it difficult working backwards but eventually managed quite well. I found that working with block lettering was really helpful, I learned how to use type properly and found that working with a grid structure made helped with my composition.

It was interesting to see how the ink set on different stocks. The lino print paper made the ink sit on top of the paper creating a dappled shiny effect and in some cases emphasized the cracks and imperfections. The cartridge paper adsorbed quite a bit of the ink as did the coloured stock which resulted in some really bold prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment