Thursday 20 October 2011

ALPHABET SOUP//TYPEFACE//OUGD403

Alphabet Soup Type Face

Brief

Design a typeface for a full alphabet and glyphs (a to z, !, ?, @, £, :, .) that represents the personality/character of your partner. You will discover their personality/character through a series of set questions.
Using your new found appreciation of the anatomy of typographic forms and the wealth of research that you have already gathered, focus on the manipulation of existing letter forms in order to solve this problem. There is a limited colour palette of black ink.

Background / Considerations



The alpha-numeric forms within typefaces and fonts are vast. Each has been designed in response to a specific problem, set of requirements or design needs. Clarity, legibility, ease of (re)-production, usability and functionality are always considerations but the mood, personality, tone of voice of these forms is just as important to a designer.

This needs to be produced on an A1 sheet of paper.

My partner is Sam, to find out a little bit about each other we interviewed one an other. From the questions that were asked I picked out 5 answers that I feel will be good to work with. The words I picked from the list are Forgetful, Dinosaur, Loyalty, Time Travel and Death. From here I will investigate ways I deliver these meanings through type.

What these words make me think of:

Forgetful:
  • Memory
  • Brains
  • ?
  • Unreliable
  • Dozy
Dinosaur: 
  • Bones
  • Fossils
  • Reptiles 
  • Ancient
  • Pre Historic
Loyalty:
  • Friends
  • Royalty
  • Family
  • Team
  • Trust 
Time Travel:
  • Space
  • Science
  • Time Machines
Death:
  • Blackness
  • Graves
  • Hell
  • Heaven
  • The Devil
  • Skulls
Next I am planning on finding a few typefaces that I can trace over in order to change and develop them into a typeface that represents the the words I have chosen for Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment