Monday 10 December 2012

Type Hate List

Comic Sans

“The AOL of fonts”
“Comic Sans is the dirt bastard of the design world.”
“An e-mail written in this font makes the sender seem ridiculous and out of touch.”
“I honestly think when I see Comic Sans that the person has a lower than average intelligence level.”
“It’s not that it’s a terrible font – it’s rather that it suits non-designers far better than those with a sense of the aesthetic would like.”

Arial

“So 1950′s”
“Arial is little more than a shameless impostor.’”
“Arial’s ubiquity is not due to its beauty. It’s actually rather homely.”
If you’re working in a medium where you’re not restricted to certain fonts, and you’re considering using Arial – don’t.”
“Arial is the poster child for the general typographic decline of the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.“

Times New Roman

“Very corny and boring”
“I just avoid when I can.”
“It’s simply bad, ugly and makes me nervous when I see it.”
“I cannot look at Times New Roman without automatically assuming that it is a placeholder font, waiting to be replaced by something appropriate for the text.“

Brush Script

“Brush Script is a useful tool for identifying morons. It is the typeface equivalent of the backwards worn baseball cap.”

Courier

“dull, unimaginative, plain”
“Courier always reminds me of sending a job to the printer and forgetting to include the fonts.”

Papyrus

“Papyrus: The official cool font for those who know nothing about typography.”
“I was an early user of Papyrus. I used it a lot for a long time. These days I hate it just like the rest of you.”
“When I visited my brother in South Dakota last year, nearly every billboard or pamphlet at the Rushmore Memorial Center used Comic Sans or Papyrus…. Ugh, barf.”
“I’m branding myself with this font. My website has to be in Papyrus! The text and everything!”

Lucinda Handwriting
Yet another handwriting font. For some reason people love the idea of making any writing look handwritten, blatantly disregarding the fact that the design shouldn’t have a personal feel. I’m always thinking who in the name of the Design-God thinks that a printed paper with this font is actually handwritten? Or worst, an email? For the sake of everything nice, if you want to use this type of font, trow away the computer and use a pen and a paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment