Wednesday 2 May 2012

Context of Practice - Punk ZINE

For my publication I have been looking at the Punk era and more importantly the visual language behind the fashion. I rented out several books for my research to help me on my way. I am concentrating on the semiotics of the punk subculture and the meanings and messages behind the style.

Reading List

The Meaning of Style - Dick Hebdige
Fashion as Communication - Malcolm Barnard
Introducing Semiotics - 
Visibile Signs -
Fucked up and Photocopied
Punk No ones innocent

In order to keep with the Punk aspect of the project I will produce a PUNK ZINE similar to the old style zines with that cut and throw away feel to it. I will use the scanner mainly. It needs to be both informative and interesting to look at.

Content

I have wrote out a plan of action so I know what to research into and what pages are needed in the Zine.

Introduction
Punk History
Semiotics brief explanation
Swastika
Safety Pin
Ripped Clothing
Toilet chain necklaces
Bin Bag Clothing
Dr Martins
Mo Hawks
Death of Punk
Punk Art

Initial Ideas

After reading The meaning of Style I had a good idea of how the Punk era came about and the underlying themes and beliefs of the subculture. When I originally started the project I wanted to look at each different subculture and the semiotics behind the style of all these eras. However the book mainly concentrated on the Punk Era which seemed to be allot more interesting than the other eras. I found that the PUNK movement stood for allot more than the other cultures. This was the biggest and most shocking Youth Movement the world has ever seen. As I read the book I highlighted key quotes and sections to help me when writing my content.
I plan on keeping the content quite simple and easy to understand. The subject of semiotics itself is a huge area  but I just want to focus on style as a VISUAL LANGUAGE.


Ripped Clothing


My first thoughts on creating the publication was how can I visually communicate the
themes behind the fashion. I thought it would be a good idea to cut holes in the page
so that you can see through the pages to see where the Items originally came from.
I really like this idea but producing it could be tough. As I have found it is hard to
get things lined up perfectly when using the printers. This will be something to test.
Ripped clothes signify poverty, it also an expression of using and abusing
mainstream fashion, breaking the rules and codes of fashion as statement.

Toilet Chain Necklaces 


Toilet chains were used in the punk era. They draped them round their necks
tied them to the their clothes wrapped them round their bodies amongst other weird
stuff. This was a way of communicating the poverty amongst the subculture.
It was also to shock taking something from a pretty dirty context and
showcasing it for the nation to see. Punks just didn't give a shit.

Safety Pin Piercings


Punks mutilated their faces with safety pins as a way of
self expression signifying poverty, anarchy and rebeliion. Once again
this was another shock factor to the nation. punks gave safety pins a new image.
No longer did they signify parenthood and babies.

Flag Accessories


British flags were pinned onto jackets with masses of safety  pins
stuck through them, representing Britains lack of future for the youth.

Bin Bag Clothing


Another aspect of punk fashion was bin bag clothing. These domestic
rubbish bags were converted into skirts, dresses and trousers.
This was an expression of poverty amongst the failing subculture.

School Uniform


School uniforms were worn covered in graffiti and fake blood
as a mockery to the system. This was a rebellious statement.

Mock Up





I produced a mock up book in order to work out how many pages I needed and what needed to go on each page. I like the idea of drawing in the zine but this may spoil the punk aesthetic of the zine. I will use a combination of scanned, written and digitally produced imagery to create my punk zine. I hope to outline the themes behind the subculture. I also want to look at how investing  meaning in the domestic items // punk style resulted in the end of the PUNK subculture, due to incorporation.

No comments:

Post a Comment