Monday 21 May 2012

Final PUNK ZINE - Punk A Visual Language

After lots of late nights cutting and scanning and find images large enough I finally finished my publication. I was quite fortunate that I could get away with printing in the mac suit as the original punk zines would of been the same quality if not worse.

I saved each page as a TIF file from photoshop then inserted them into indesign creating my publication. This made printing allot easier as I was able to double side print which was very helpful. I am really happy with how it turned out, I feel I have definitely captured that DIY feel that existed in the original punk zines. I have presented the information as simply as possible to try and make it as understandable as I can.










Crit Feed Back


Strengths

Subject suits the DIY format, - Photocopied Zine
Hand written works well
Punk typography works
Throw away feel
Easy to digest

Improvements

More content
use more semiotic terms
too structured - more chaos
Needs Colour - pink, black, blue, yellow

I am happy with the feedback I received it was fairly possitive. At the crit I only displayed an unfinished mock up of my Zine that was missing around 8 pages. Since then I have correct my Zine adding more content. I have tried to make it as easy to digest as possible. Unfortunately I have not had time to go back and make it more chaotic. I could print out my pages rip them up and re scan them but with the time left I don't think this is worth while doing. I also considered adding colour but this would break the cheap throw away aesthetic I was going for. I could produce a limited edition version with colour which would be quite nice. I originally wanted to produce a hard back more interactive book bound with TARTEN covered in safety pins but time was an issue. It would of been nice to incorporate my cut out pages from my early ideas. I feel this would help to visually communicate the meanings in a more interesting way. Revealing aspects of the following page through holes and gaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment